diy

Pattern Review: Simplicity 1064

Posted on

(Click images to enlarge)

Pattern Link:
http://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-pattern-1064-misses-tunics/1064.html

Review Link:

https://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=134093

Pattern Description:
Misses’ easy to sew tunics with length variations and tie belt. This versatile mock wrap tunic pairs well with leggings for an easy on-trend look. Make it with a long sleeve, short sleeve or sleeveless with a front flounce.

Pattern Sizing:
I cut a 12, but actually feel like I could have gone down to a 10 to make it a tad bit more well fittingย in the top.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I didn’t dislike anything major. I liked that it was very clear with instructions and there were no guessing games involved. Personally, I wish the cut were a little higher in the bust area, but it is nothing that a tank or cami cannot solve. Also, the darts did not seem necessary with this particular pattern. I also really love the hem. That is what drew me to this pattern from the start!

Fabric Used:
I used a poly interlock from Walmart. The exact description: Shason Textile Poly Interlock Floral Print.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I plan to make it again! This one is view A. I plan to make B and C, and a C with short sleeves. Not a fan of flounce, so not doing D.

Conclusion:
This was a very easy, quick sew. It took me the course of a few days due to other obligations, but I love it! Cannot wait to make it again. Great wardrobe builder!

Holiday Cleaning: Our Keurig

Posted on Updated on

One of the things that I really enjoy about Pinterest is that there are SO many D.I.Y. pins! From creating to cooking to modifying to cleaning, doing it yourself has become much easier. Some months back, I pinned information on cleaning your Keurig coffee maker. Ours started behaving strangely only a few months after we got it last year so we went back to the good old-fashioned coffee pot! Since I am normally off work on Wednesdays and Thursdays, I like to use my time to get cleaning done. I decided that last Wednesday would be the day that I cleaned the Keurig and hopefully get it working like new again. I grabbed the pin from my “Keeping it Clean” board and gathered everything that I needed to get started.

dish soap, all purpose cleaner, microfiber towel, toothbrush, and of course - our Keurig!
dish soap, white vinegar, all-purpose cleaner, microfiber towel, toothbrush, and of course – our Keurig!

In the post, she says to use pure white vinegar. I had distilled so that is what I used! Also, her Keurig is totally different from ours (her reservoir detaches; ours does not) so I had to adapt it our model. It was a very easy process to follow.

wiping out the k cup holder
wiping out the k cup holder
waiting for the 'vinegar brew'
waiting for the ‘vinegar brew’
here it comes!
here it comes!

The most time-consuming part of it all was brewing cup after cup (after cup… after cup… lol) of water to make sure that the vinegar was completely rinsed out. I think I ‘brewed’ at least 10 cups! And you know what? It works now!

With the holidays upon us, that means lots of company along with coffee, great conversation, (and sweets!) Now, we can use our Keurig again & they can brew their own beverage of choice! I am looking forward to grabbing some K Cups during my next grocery trip so that we can put our Keurig back to good use.

all fresh and clean!
all fresh and clean!

My Latest Sewing Project: A Messenger Bag!

Posted on Updated on

In my quest to continue to grow in my sewing skills & knowledge, I decided to attempt this messenger bag tutorial by Amber at Crazy Little Projects. My husband graciously accompanied me to Joann’sย on Saturday and helped me pick out my fabric. After I picked the main fabric, I was a little stuck while looking for a good coordinating fabric. David was so helpful that I proclaimed him as my “fabric advisor” and vowed to ask him to come with me every time I need to pick out fabrics!

This was my first time working with fusible fleece, and my first time attempting a project of this magnitude. I am so glad I did! There is nothing like wearing or using something that you made yourself!

Let's get ready to rumble!
Let’s get ready to rumble!

I cut my pieces on Monday and finished assembling my bag this morning. I got stuck on a few parts here and there while I was working on it, but Amber was quick to respond to my questions. After I’d stepped away and come back to it, the things that had me stuck ended up making perfect sense! This morning, when I finished my bag, I was so excited! I danced, jumped up & down, & squealed with joy! I couldn’t wait to show my husband!

For those that are interested in the cost for this project, here is the breakdown:
1 yard of fusible fleece$5.09 (normally $8.49, but it was 40% off)
1 yard of flourish flower print$6.99 (normally $9.99, but it was 30% off)
1 yard of baroque damask plum print$5.59 (normally $7.99, but it was 30% off)
Total = $17.67

Coupons and sales definitely help to keep costs down! Having these amounts in my mind will definitely prepare me for future bags that I may want to make (and I do plan to make many more!)ย I do plan to make other messenger bags, but I will make them smaller! This bag is a little large compared to what I normally prefer, but I still am absolutely fond of it! It is super versatile and can be used as a book bag, diaper bag, a fancy gym bag, & so much more!

Alas! On to the pictures!

My newly finished messenger bag
My newly finished messenger bag!
The inside coordinating fabric
The inside coordinating fabric!
Inside pocket!
Inside pocket for my phone, pens, and pocket change!
Yay!
Yay!